|1ao6, resolution 2.50Å ()|
CRYSTAL STRUCTURE OF HUMAN SERUM ALBUMIN
A new triclinic crystal form of human serum albumin (HSA), derived either from pool plasma (pHSA) or from a Pichia pastoris expression system (rHSA), was obtained from polyethylene glycol 4000 solution. Three-dimensional structures of pHSA and rHSA were determined at 2.5 A resolution from the new triclinic crystal form by molecular replacement, using atomic coordinates derived from a multiple isomorphous replacement work with a known tetragonal crystal form. The structures of pHSA and rHSA are virtually identical, with an r.m. s. deviation of 0.24 A for all Calpha atoms. The two HSA molecules involved in the asymmetric unit are related by a strict local twofold symmetry such that the Calpha atoms of the two molecules can be superimposed with an r.m.s. deviation of 0.28 A in pHSA. Cys34 is the only cysteine with a free sulfhydryl group which does not participate in a disulfide linkage with any external ligand. Domains II and III both have a pocket formed mostly of hydrophobic and positively charged residues and in which a very wide range of compounds may be accommodated. Three tentative binding sites for long-chain fatty acids, each with different surroundings, are located at the surface of each domain.
Crystal structure of human serum albumin at 2.5 A resolution., Sugio S, Kashima A, Mochizuki S, Noda M, Kobayashi K, Protein Eng. 1999 Jun;12(6):439-46. PMID:10388840
From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
[ALBU_HUMAN] Defects in ALB are a cause of familial dysalbuminemic hyperthyroxinemia (FDH) [MIM:103600]. FDH is a form of euthyroid hyperthyroxinemia that is due to increased affinity of ALB for T(4). It is the most common cause of inherited euthyroid hyperthyroxinemia in Caucasian population.
[ALBU_HUMAN] Serum albumin, the main protein of plasma, has a good binding capacity for water, Ca(2+), Na(+), K(+), fatty acids, hormones, bilirubin and drugs. Its main function is the regulation of the colloidal osmotic pressure of blood. Major zinc transporter in plasma, typically binds about 80% of all plasma zinc.
About this Structure
- Sugio S, Kashima A, Mochizuki S, Noda M, Kobayashi K. Crystal structure of human serum albumin at 2.5 A resolution. Protein Eng. 1999 Jun;12(6):439-46. PMID:10388840
- ↑ Sunthornthepvarakul T, Angkeow P, Weiss RE, Hayashi Y, Refetoff S. An identical missense mutation in the albumin gene results in familial dysalbuminemic hyperthyroxinemia in 8 unrelated families. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994 Jul 29;202(2):781-7. PMID:8048949
- ↑ Rushbrook JI, Becker E, Schussler GC, Divino CM. Identification of a human serum albumin species associated with familial dysalbuminemic hyperthyroxinemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1995 Feb;80(2):461-7. PMID:7852505
- ↑ Wada N, Chiba H, Shimizu C, Kijima H, Kubo M, Koike T. A novel missense mutation in codon 218 of the albumin gene in a distinct phenotype of familial dysalbuminemic hyperthyroxinemia in a Japanese kindred. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997 Oct;82(10):3246-50. PMID:9329347
- ↑ Sunthornthepvarakul T, Likitmaskul S, Ngowngarmratana S, Angsusingha K, Kitvitayasak S, Scherberg NH, Refetoff S. Familial dysalbuminemic hypertriiodothyroninemia: a new, dominantly inherited albumin defect. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998 May;83(5):1448-54. PMID:9589637
- ↑ Lu J, Stewart AJ, Sadler PJ, Pinheiro TJ, Blindauer CA. Albumin as a zinc carrier: properties of its high-affinity zinc-binding site. Biochem Soc Trans. 2008 Dec;36(Pt 6):1317-21. doi: 10.1042/BST0361317. PMID:19021548 doi:10.1042/BST0361317