|2nsq, resolution 1.85Å ()|
|Gene:||NEDD4L, KIAA0439, NEDL3 (Homo sapiens)|
Crystal structure of the C2 domain of the human E3 ubiquitin-protein ligase NEDD4-like protein
The validation of full-length cDNA represents a crucial step in gene identification and subsequent functional analysis. In searching for candidate genes for bipolar disorder on chromosome 18q21, a novel gene homologous to NEDD4 (Neural precursor cells expressed developmentally down-regulated) was identified using exon trapping and cDNA cloning. This novel gene is termed NEDD4L (Human Gene Nomenclature Committee symbol). Typical NEDD4 orthologues that contain a C2 (Ca(2+)/lipid-binding) and a HECT (Homologous to the E6-AP Carboxyl Terminus) ubiquitin-protein ligase domain, and multiple WW domains have been shown to regulate the epithelial sodium channel (ENaC). In mice, Nedd4 has two distinct isoforms termed Nedd4-1 that belongs to the typical NEDD4 class, and Nedd4-2 that is homologous to Nedd4-1 but lacks the C2 domain. NEDD4L contains the WW and HECT domains seen in the NEDD4 gene family, but lacks the C2 domain in the N-terminus. BLAST database search showed that the deduced polypeptide of NEDD4L has 97 and 62% sequence identity to mouse Nedd4-2 and human NEDD4, respectively. Multiple forms of transcripts of NEDD4L have been isolated, which differ in transcription start and termination sites together with the presence or absence of an alternative spliced exon. Northern blot analysis showed a 3.4 kb mRNA species was specifically expressed in heart and skeletal muscle, while a 3.2 kb band and/or an additional 3.6 kb band is seen in other tissues tested. Striking homology of NEDD4L to mouse Nedd4-2 suggests it is the human homologue of mouse Nedd4-2. Its position in a region of linkage for autosomal dominant orthostatic hypotensive disorder and its potential role in regulating ENaC make NEDD4L a candidate gene for this disorder.
NEDD4L on human chromosome 18q21 has multiple forms of transcripts and is a homologue of the mouse Nedd4-2 gene., Chen H, Ross CA, Wang N, Huo Y, MacKinnon DF, Potash JB, Simpson SG, McMahon FJ, DePaulo Jr JR, McInnis MG, Eur J Hum Genet. 2001 Dec;9(12):922-30. PMID:11840194
From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
[NED4L_HUMAN] E3 ubiquitin-protein ligase which accepts ubiquitin from an E2 ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme in the form of a thioester and then directly transfers the ubiquitin to targeted substrates. Inhibits TGF-beta signaling by triggering SMAD2 and TGFBR1 ubiquitination and proteasome-dependent degradation. Promotes ubiquitination and internalization of various plasma membrane channels such as ENaC, Nav1.2, Nav1.3, Nav1.5, Nav1.7, Nav1.8, Kv1.3, EAAT1 or CLC5. Promotes ubiquitination and degradation of SGK1 and TNK2.      
About this Structure
- Chen H, Ross CA, Wang N, Huo Y, MacKinnon DF, Potash JB, Simpson SG, McMahon FJ, DePaulo Jr JR, McInnis MG. NEDD4L on human chromosome 18q21 has multiple forms of transcripts and is a homologue of the mouse Nedd4-2 gene. Eur J Hum Genet. 2001 Dec;9(12):922-30. PMID:11840194 doi:10.1038/sj.ejhg.5200747
- ↑ Boehmer C, Henke G, Schniepp R, Palmada M, Rothstein JD, Broer S, Lang F. Regulation of the glutamate transporter EAAT1 by the ubiquitin ligase Nedd4-2 and the serum and glucocorticoid-inducible kinase isoforms SGK1/3 and protein kinase B. J Neurochem. 2003 Sep;86(5):1181-8. PMID:12911626
- ↑ van Bemmelen MX, Rougier JS, Gavillet B, Apotheloz F, Daidie D, Tateyama M, Rivolta I, Thomas MA, Kass RS, Staub O, Abriel H. Cardiac voltage-gated sodium channel Nav1.5 is regulated by Nedd4-2 mediated ubiquitination. Circ Res. 2004 Aug 6;95(3):284-91. Epub 2004 Jun 24. PMID:15217910 doi:10.1161/01.RES.0000136816.05109.89
- ↑ Hryciw DH, Ekberg J, Lee A, Lensink IL, Kumar S, Guggino WB, Cook DI, Pollock CA, Poronnik P. Nedd4-2 functionally interacts with ClC-5: involvement in constitutive albumin endocytosis in proximal tubule cells. J Biol Chem. 2004 Dec 31;279(53):54996-5007. Epub 2004 Oct 15. PMID:15489223 doi:M411491200
- ↑ Henke G, Maier G, Wallisch S, Boehmer C, Lang F. Regulation of the voltage gated K+ channel Kv1.3 by the ubiquitin ligase Nedd4-2 and the serum and glucocorticoid inducible kinase SGK1. J Cell Physiol. 2004 May;199(2):194-9. PMID:15040001 doi:10.1002/jcp.10430
- ↑ Kuratomi G, Komuro A, Goto K, Shinozaki M, Miyazawa K, Miyazono K, Imamura T. NEDD4-2 (neural precursor cell expressed, developmentally down-regulated 4-2) negatively regulates TGF-beta (transforming growth factor-beta) signalling by inducing ubiquitin-mediated degradation of Smad2 and TGF-beta type I receptor. Biochem J. 2005 Mar 15;386(Pt 3):461-70. PMID:15496141 doi:BJ20040738
- ↑ Zhou R, Snyder PM. Nedd4-2 phosphorylation induces serum and glucocorticoid-regulated kinase (SGK) ubiquitination and degradation. J Biol Chem. 2005 Feb 11;280(6):4518-23. Epub 2004 Dec 2. PMID:15576372 doi:10.1074/jbc.M411053200
- ↑ Chan W, Tian R, Lee YF, Sit ST, Lim L, Manser E. Down-regulation of active ACK1 is mediated by association with the E3 ubiquitin ligase Nedd4-2. J Biol Chem. 2009 Mar 20;284(12):8185-94. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M806877200. Epub 2009 , Jan 14. PMID:19144635 doi:10.1074/jbc.M806877200