ConSurf Quick Analysis Procedure
Here is a quick procedure for coloring a protein molecule by evolutionary conservation. This procedure does not necessarily give the highest quality result, but will give you a preliminary result that is often sufficient. (This page is a supplement to How to see conserved regions.)
- Go to the ConSurf Server.
- Check Amino Acids.
- Check Yes there is a known protein structure.
- Enter your PDB code and click the Next button.
- Choose one chain from the pull-down Chain Identifier menu. (ConSurf can only analyze one chain at a time.)
- Check No you do not have a Multiple Sequence Alignment (MSA) to upload.
- Don't worry, you can leave all the settings that appear now at their defaults.
- If you want the server to return your result faster, reduce Maximum homologs to collect from 150 to 75.
- Enter your email address in the bottom slot! This avoids losing the result and having to do it over.
- Click the Submit button.
- Processing may take a few minutes or a few hours. After FINISHED appears at the top of the Job Status Page, scroll down to Final Results and click View ConSurf Results with FirstGlance in Jmol.
If you want to obtain a better quality result, see Limiting ConSurf Analysis to Proteins of a Single Function.