First time at Proteopedia? Click on the green links: they change the 3D image. Click and drag the molecules. Proteopedia is a 3D, interactive encyclopedia of proteins, RNA, DNA and other molecules. With a free user account, you can edit pages in Proteopedia. Visit the Main Page to learn more.
|1a4y, resolution 2.00Å ()|
RIBONUCLEASE INHIBITOR-ANGIOGENIN COMPLEX
Human placental RNase inhibitor (hRI), a leucine-rich repeat protein, binds the blood vessel-inducing protein human angiogenin (Ang) with extraordinary affinity (Ki <1 fM). Here we report a 2.0 A resolution crystal structure for the hRI-Ang complex that, together with extensive mutagenesis data from earlier studies, reveals the molecular features of this tight interaction. The hRI-Ang binding interface is large and encompasses 26 residues from hRI and 24 from Ang, recruited from multiple domains of both proteins. However, a substantial fraction of the energetically important contacts involve only a single region of each: the C-terminal segment 434-460 of hRI and the ribonucleolytic active centre of Ang, most notably the catalytic residue Lys40. Although the overall docking of Ang resembles that observed for RNase A in the crystal structure of its complex with the porcine RNase inhibitor, the vast majority of the interactions in the two complexes are distinctive, indicating that the broad specificity of the inhibitor for pancreatic RNase superfamily proteins is based largely on its capacity to recognize features unique to each of them. The implications of these findings for the development of small, hRI-based inhibitors of Ang for therapeutic use are discussed.
Molecular recognition of human angiogenin by placental ribonuclease inhibitor--an X-ray crystallographic study at 2.0 A resolution., Papageorgiou AC, Shapiro R, Acharya KR, EMBO J. 1997 Sep 1;16(17):5162-77. PMID:9311977
From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
[ANGI_HUMAN] Defects in ANG are the cause of susceptibility to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis type 9 (ALS9) [MIM:611895]. ALS is a degenerative disorder of motor neurons in the cortex, brain stem and spinal cord. ALS is characterized by muscular weakness and atrophy.
[RINI_HUMAN] Ribonuclease inhibitor which inhibits RNASE1, RNASE2 and ANG. May play a role in redox homeostasis. [ANGI_HUMAN] May function as a tRNA-specific ribonuclease that abolishes protein synthesis by specifically hydrolyzing cellular tRNAs. Binds to actin on the surface of endothelial cells; once bound, angiogenin is endocytosed and translocated to the nucleus. Angiogenin induces vascularization of normal and malignant tissues. Angiogenic activity is regulated by interaction with RNH1 in vivo.
About this Structure
- Papageorgiou AC, Shapiro R, Acharya KR. Molecular recognition of human angiogenin by placental ribonuclease inhibitor--an X-ray crystallographic study at 2.0 A resolution. EMBO J. 1997 Sep 1;16(17):5162-77. PMID:9311977 doi:10.1093/emboj/16.17.5162
- ↑ Wu D, Yu W, Kishikawa H, Folkerth RD, Iafrate AJ, Shen Y, Xin W, Sims K, Hu GF. Angiogenin loss-of-function mutations in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 2007 Dec;62(6):609-17. PMID:17886298 doi:10.1002/ana.21221
- ↑ Greenway MJ, Alexander MD, Ennis S, Traynor BJ, Corr B, Frost E, Green A, Hardiman O. A novel candidate region for ALS on chromosome 14q11.2. Neurology. 2004 Nov 23;63(10):1936-8. PMID:15557516
- ↑ Greenway MJ, Andersen PM, Russ C, Ennis S, Cashman S, Donaghy C, Patterson V, Swingler R, Kieran D, Prehn J, Morrison KE, Green A, Acharya KR, Brown RH Jr, Hardiman O. ANG mutations segregate with familial and 'sporadic' amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Nat Genet. 2006 Apr;38(4):411-3. Epub 2006 Feb 26. PMID:16501576 doi:10.1038/ng1742
- ↑ Crabtree B, Thiyagarajan N, Prior SH, Wilson P, Iyer S, Ferns T, Shapiro R, Brew K, Subramanian V, Acharya KR. Characterization of human angiogenin variants implicated in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Biochemistry. 2007 Oct 23;46(42):11810-8. Epub 2007 Sep 27. PMID:17900154 doi:10.1021/bi701333h
- ↑ Gellera C, Colombrita C, Ticozzi N, Castellotti B, Bragato C, Ratti A, Taroni F, Silani V. Identification of new ANG gene mutations in a large cohort of Italian patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurogenetics. 2008 Feb;9(1):33-40. Epub 2007 Dec 18. PMID:18087731 doi:10.1007/s10048-007-0111-3
- ↑ Conforti FL, Sprovieri T, Mazzei R, Ungaro C, La Bella V, Tessitore A, Patitucci A, Magariello A, Gabriele AL, Tedeschi G, Simone IL, Majorana G, Valentino P, Condino F, Bono F, Monsurro MR, Muglia M, Quattrone A. A novel Angiogenin gene mutation in a sporadic patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis from southern Italy. Neuromuscul Disord. 2008 Jan;18(1):68-70. Epub 2007 Aug 20. PMID:17703939 doi:S0960-8966(07)00676-1
- ↑ Huang GH, Yang GZ, Chen JY, Wu XF. [Expression of a human ribonuclease inhibitor variant in Escherichia coli and silkworm insect cell (Bombyx mori)]. Sheng Wu Hua Xue Yu Sheng Wu Wu Li Xue Bao (Shanghai). 2003 Oct;35(10):960-3. PMID:14515218
- ↑ Teufel DP, Kao RY, Acharya KR, Shapiro R. Mutational analysis of the complex of human RNase inhibitor and human eosinophil-derived neurotoxin (RNase 2). Biochemistry. 2003 Feb 18;42(6):1451-9. PMID:12578357 doi:10.1021/bi026852o
- ↑ Monti DM, Montesano Gesualdi N, Matousek J, Esposito F, D'Alessio G. The cytosolic ribonuclease inhibitor contributes to intracellular redox homeostasis. FEBS Lett. 2007 Mar 6;581(5):930-4. Epub 2007 Feb 6. PMID:17292889 doi:10.1016/j.febslet.2007.01.072
- ↑ Saxena SK, Rybak SM, Davey RT Jr, Youle RJ, Ackerman EJ. Angiogenin is a cytotoxic, tRNA-specific ribonuclease in the RNase A superfamily. J Biol Chem. 1992 Oct 25;267(30):21982-6. PMID:1400510
- ↑ Dickson KA, Kang DK, Kwon YS, Kim JC, Leland PA, Kim BM, Chang SI, Raines RT. Ribonuclease inhibitor regulates neovascularization by human angiogenin. Biochemistry. 2009 May 12;48(18):3804-6. doi: 10.1021/bi9005094. PMID:19354288 doi:10.1021/bi9005094