First time at Proteopedia? Click on the green links: they change the 3D image. Click and drag the molecules. Proteopedia is a 3D, interactive encyclopedia of proteins, RNA, DNA and other molecules. With a free user account, you can edit pages in Proteopedia. Visit the Main Page to learn more.
|2i30, resolution 2.90Å ()|
Human serum albumin complexed with myristate and salicylic acid
Human serum albumin (HSA) is the most abundant plasma protein in the human body with a plasma concentration of 0.6mM. HSA plays an important role in drug transport and metabolism. Enzymatic activity of HSA on different substrates or drugs has been studied and documented. The structural mechanism of this activity, however, is unknown. In this study, we have determined the crystal structures of HSA-myristate in a complex of aspirin and of salicylic acid, respectively. The crystal structure of HSA-myristate-aspirin illustrates that aspirin transfers acetyl group to Lys199 and is hydrolyzed into salicylic acid by HSA. The hydrolysis product, salicylic acid, remains bound to HSA at a similar location, but it shows a very different orientation when compared with the salicylic acid in the HSA-myristate-salicylic acid ternary complex. These results not only provide the structural evidence of esterase activity of HSA, and demonstrate the conformational plasticity of HSA on drug binding, but also may provide structural information for the modulation of HSA-drug interaction by computational approach based on HSA-drug structure.
Effect of human serum albumin on drug metabolism: structural evidence of esterase activity of human serum albumin., Yang F, Bian C, Zhu L, Zhao G, Huang Z, Huang M, J Struct Biol. 2007 Feb;157(2):348-55. Epub 2006 Sep 9. PMID:17067818
From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
[ALBU_HUMAN] Defects in ALB are a cause of familial dysalbuminemic hyperthyroxinemia (FDH) [MIM:103600]. FDH is a form of euthyroid hyperthyroxinemia that is due to increased affinity of ALB for T(4). It is the most common cause of inherited euthyroid hyperthyroxinemia in Caucasian population.
[ALBU_HUMAN] Serum albumin, the main protein of plasma, has a good binding capacity for water, Ca(2+), Na(+), K(+), fatty acids, hormones, bilirubin and drugs. Its main function is the regulation of the colloidal osmotic pressure of blood. Major zinc transporter in plasma, typically binds about 80% of all plasma zinc.
About this Structure
- Yang F, Bian C, Zhu L, Zhao G, Huang Z, Huang M. Effect of human serum albumin on drug metabolism: structural evidence of esterase activity of human serum albumin. J Struct Biol. 2007 Feb;157(2):348-55. Epub 2006 Sep 9. PMID:17067818 doi:10.1016/j.jsb.2006.08.015
- ↑ Sunthornthepvarakul T, Angkeow P, Weiss RE, Hayashi Y, Refetoff S. An identical missense mutation in the albumin gene results in familial dysalbuminemic hyperthyroxinemia in 8 unrelated families. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994 Jul 29;202(2):781-7. PMID:8048949
- ↑ Rushbrook JI, Becker E, Schussler GC, Divino CM. Identification of a human serum albumin species associated with familial dysalbuminemic hyperthyroxinemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1995 Feb;80(2):461-7. PMID:7852505
- ↑ Wada N, Chiba H, Shimizu C, Kijima H, Kubo M, Koike T. A novel missense mutation in codon 218 of the albumin gene in a distinct phenotype of familial dysalbuminemic hyperthyroxinemia in a Japanese kindred. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997 Oct;82(10):3246-50. PMID:9329347
- ↑ Sunthornthepvarakul T, Likitmaskul S, Ngowngarmratana S, Angsusingha K, Kitvitayasak S, Scherberg NH, Refetoff S. Familial dysalbuminemic hypertriiodothyroninemia: a new, dominantly inherited albumin defect. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998 May;83(5):1448-54. PMID:9589637
- ↑ Lu J, Stewart AJ, Sadler PJ, Pinheiro TJ, Blindauer CA. Albumin as a zinc carrier: properties of its high-affinity zinc-binding site. Biochem Soc Trans. 2008 Dec;36(Pt 6):1317-21. doi: 10.1042/BST0361317. PMID:19021548 doi:10.1042/BST0361317